These are a family favorite, surprisingly! I didn’t think I’d find the keys to getting my family to eat nose to tail unless the butcher prepared it himself (I think every kid will eat sausages) but these literally got licked up by my husband and kids! The key was to use the dōTERRA culinary oils rather than traditional spices. No hint of liver flavor remained.
Give them a shot and let me know what you think!
Lamb & Liver Ancestral Meatballs
- Food Processor or High Powered Blender
- Medium Sized Bowl
- medium to large cast iron pan or skillet
- 1/2 lb lamb or chicken liver
- 1/4 cup peeled garlic cloves preferably roasted
- 2 lbs grass fed ground lamb
- 2 tsp pink or sea salt
- 1 tsp konjac powder or gelatin
- 1 tsp of manjistha for spice as well as blood & liver cleansing + lymphatic support
- 1-2 drops dōTERRA Thyme or Oregano
- 1-2 drops dōTERRA Rosemary
- Grind liver + garlic to smooth in food processor or high powered blender (the latter will leave you with a bit more heading to compost)
- Add all ingredients to medium sized bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Form into balls: I like them to be about double the mass of a golf ball and use a Jenaluca Medium Scoop (1-1/2 Tablespoons) for Swedish sized meatballs, but you can use the Large Scoop (3 Tablespoons) if you prefer a larger, Italian sized meatball. You'll need to adjust baking time if you use the larger scoop.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 min or broil for 5 and bake for 20 at 375°F (watch for a darker crust to form on the meatballs). Feel free to sauté them in the pan to start or finish them to achieve a more defined crust.