When my husband was away in Ireland the first year before we joined him, I used to have a mom date with my cousin MacKenzie. Sometimes other mom friends came as well, but after a bit she announced to my parents that I needed a girls night and would they babysit. I loved her before… but I loved her so immensely for asking for the thing I couldn’t ask for myself. We used to go to a cinema some 25 minutes drive because they had a full restaurant and would serve hummus plates, wine, cocktails, beer, dinner but most importantly to me… truffle fries with blue cheese sauce melted all over the top! The cinema has since gone, but the truffle fries tradition remains… only now that I cannot have nightshades I use sweet potatoes. My favorite are the Japanese purple sweet potatoes because they have the most resistant starch of all the sweet potato family, but I will sometimes have Stokes purple sweet potatoes (with the purple flesh all the way through) or Hannah sweet potatoes in a pinch. Never yams… they do not hold up and do not have the right kind of starch… meaning I wake up a bit bloated, whereas with the Japanese variety I wake up feeling amazing. Nothing in them bothers me in the least. I airfry them in my Breville Smart Oven Air with coconut oil, truffle salt and either oakwood smoked pepper or my own special blend of Tasmanian pepperberries, Schezuan peppercorns and Telicherry peppercorns.
Sweet Potato Truffle Fries
- Air Fryer Oven or Large Cast Iron Pan
- 1-2 Japanese Sweet Potatoes
- 1 tbsp liquid coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp truffle salt
- 1/2 tsp oakwood smoked black pepper or Tasmanian pepperberry blend
- Halve the sweet potatoes lengthwise, lie open face down and cut into strips at desired thickness. (I like mine about .75 centimeter)
- Turn them on their side again and cut strips into fries.
- Coat with liquid coconut oil* (I like to use a glass spray bottle for this, either Sally’s organics or Norwex.)
- Sprinkle with truffle salt and black pepper of choice.
- Place in air fryer rack of Breville Smart Oven Air. (You can do this in a standard air fryer in smaller batches or place them all in a hot cast iron pan in a preheated oven)
- Airfry at 360°F - 375°F for 25 minutes.