I have been working at a vanilla ice cream for quite some time, but not as long as my mother has. She can produce keto ice creams that fool my children AND my husband… and that my friends, is a challenging task! I have adapted this from her recipe, having replaced the cream with coconut milk and the 1:1 style keto sweeteners with pure monkfruit powder. You can reduce the monkfruit and add a bit of chicory root sweetener (Just Like Sugar), allulose, Swerve or another birch based non-GMO erythritol, but I prefer keeping things simple and I don’t mind the taste of monk fruit. Use your taste testers though, because everyone is different!
This is best when made with an ice cream maker like this one of my mom’s or like my Kitchen Aid Bowl Attachment but you can just remove the dish from the freezer every twenty minutes to give it a stir, or pour it into silicone popsicle molds. I would recommend adding a bit of vodka to keep it from getting to icy in that case.
I do hope you enjoy it!
Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream
- Saucepan & whisk
- Freezer safe glass container
- Ice Cream Maker or Ice Cream Bowl Attachment
- 4 cups coconut milk or cream 2 cans bpa free
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 - 1 tsp monk fruit powder I use 1 tsp monk and no additional sweeteners.
- 2 tbsp chicory root sweetener just like sugar
- 1 tbsp beef gelatin
- 1-2 tsp vegetable glycerine
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp vodka or whiskey optional- to prevent ice crystals
- Heat the coconut cream in a saucepan to 175ºF
- Add sweeteners while whisking
- Add beef gelatin while whisking
- Add gelatin and whisk
- Separate eggs and whisk the yolks
- Scoop out about a half cup of the hot coconut cream and start to drizzle it into the egg yolks while whisking. Keep adding until you have combined them. Repeat with another half cup of cream until eggs are fully tempered.
- Add the cream and egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan of cream and whisk.
- Add vanilla and whisk. (vodka too if you are using it)
- Pour contents into a heat safe dish and refrigerate 2 hours or overnight.
- Pour into ice cream maker and set/churn for 20 minutes. Alternatively you can freeze it and pull it out every twenty minutes to stir it until it is set, or pour into popsicle molds.
1 thought on “Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream (Paleo & Keto)”