I love Brussels sprouts, probably more than most and have been very happy to have them back in my diet. For a few months now I have been able to eat select veggies again and it has been such a relief. I have about a dozen ways of preparing them but this recipe is a classic and one of the few ways I can get my kids to eat Brussels. You can leave out the avocado if you like, or the bacon for a vegan version but I’m a fan of both.
I use a giant pan (linked below) and typically make a double batch of this for my family. It can be eat as a standalone meal or as a side.
Roasted Brussels & Bacon
- 1/2 lb thick-cut uncured bacon* I like Hemplers or no sugar bacon from the local butcher
- 2 tbsp ghee or grass fed butter
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts halved
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 avocado
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Lay bacon out in cast iron pan, and bake until crispy, 15-20 minutes.
- Alternatively you can cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crispy.
- Remove to an unbleached paper towel-lined plate and cut. I like to use kitchen scissors to cut it into squares.
- In the same pan with bacon fat, melt ghee over high heat. Add onions and Brussels Sprouts and cook, stirring occasionally, until sprouts are golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and toss bacon back into pan.
- Dice avocado and toss it into the pan with the bacon.
- Serve and enjoy!