Every time I have been pregnant I have craved this Aussie staple. It has been years since I have made it though, due to my healing journey… which, I have to say, must have worked well because I am pregnant again in my 40’s! 😂
I hope you enjoy these, they are an absolute favorite of mine and are versatile enough to fill with really any stew mixture, including the chicken variety. I often forego all the veggies as well and have them on the side but as I can eat them again it was fun to add them in. I like to use the Fat Daddio Cheesecake Pans for the larger hand pies, and a Lodge cast iron pan for the little pies that I serve the kids.
These pies are fully paleo, so rest easy if you are on a grain free diet!
Paleo Beef & Pepper Hand Pie, Aussie style
- For the pastry:
- 400 g almond flour I used a mix of Bobs Red Mill paleo flour + almond flour + pumpkin seed flour
- 1 Tbsp ghee
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- Mix with pastry cutter and then chill.
- For the filling:
- 1 lb or 500g grass fed beef bison or venison.
- 1 organic yellow onion 🧅
- 2 organic carrots
- 4 organic mushrooms
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Dice onions and sautée over medium heat until they begin to soften. Add diced mushrooms & carrots and sauté for a few minutes before adding ground beef or venison. Work it all together and add the gravy. Turn off the heat and stir it in.
- Gravy is easy if you have drippings and/or broth.
- In a cast iron pan over medium heat melt some ghee or grass fed butter and then add konjac root powder 1tsp at a time, whisking, or arrowroot flour sifted in 1/4 cup at a time. I used a combo of both. Whisk and start pouring bone broth or drippings. Add more flour as needed, sifting it in and whisking as you go, or broth. (Sorry, I’m super intuitive with gravy!) When it is the consistency you like turn off the heat and pour over the beef or save for another meal.
- I have a lodge cast iron muffin/mini cake pan pan for the smaller hand pies but for the bigger ones o use fat daddio 4”x3” cheesecake pans with removable bottoms.
- Use some paleo shortening or coconut oil to grease the cast iron pans or cheesecake pans. Roll out the chilled pastry and line the bottoms and press it up around the sides, leaving enough of a lip to fold over. Fill most of the way with the mixture and then cut circles to fit the top, folding over the edges to seal the pies if you remembered to make room for them.
- Bake for 20-25min at 400°F
- Enjoy. ❤️