I am that lady who picks up stuff in the “organic” section, reads the ingredients and put them back in disgust. I know some of these things take a bit of process to make shelf stable but I am unwilling to put ingredients in my family’s bodies that damage their gut! In general I try to avoid things like carrageenan (which is a derivative of the fairly harmless Irish Carageen… goes to show extracting part of the plant is not always better than the whole plant!) and gums because they can be inflammatory to the gut.
Hazelnuts are very low in lectins as well so even those with some amount of sensitivity may be able to get away with them. I can on occasion. 💛 The nuts can be subbed with macadamia, almonds, hempseed or your nut or seed of choice.
- 1 cup hazelnuts
- 1 fig or Medjool date
- 4 cups filtered or non-chlorinated water
- Add ingredients to high powered blender cup & blend on high for 2-3 minutes or until smooth.
- Place a nut bag in a large jar and let sieve overnight.
- Pull out the bag and squeeze out the liquid into the jar.
- Transfer to store in a quart/liter canning jar and chill.